It also describes how long that information will be held and the circumstances in which we might disclose it to a third party.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Network Rail Infrastructure Limited.
Information we may collect
- Information that you provide by entering your details on our site www.digitalrailway.co.uk (including sub-domains and any related websites) (our site); this includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site and subscribing to our service. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem to us.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to our site including but not limited to traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data and the resources that you access.
- We may collect information about your computer including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration to assist continuous improvement of our site. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent or guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
How we use personal information
Digital Railway and our service providers may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with details of products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
How we store your personal information
These countries may not have the same data protection laws as those within the EEA, however, where such transfers do occur we will take the necessary steps to safeguard the security and integrity of your information and ensure it is processed to a standard commensurate with the requirements within these jurisdictions.
All information you provide to us via our site is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal information we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Access to systems that hold recruitment related information is restricted to authorised personnel through the use of unique identifiers and passwords. Your information is stored on systems that are protected by secure network architectures and are backed-up on a regular basis for disaster recovery and business continuity purposes and to avoid the risk of inadvertent erasure or destruction.
Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries (as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006) and third party service providers.
Our third party service providers will process your information in accordance with our instructions and make decisions regarding the information as part of the delivery of their services. They are also required to put in place appropriate security measures that ensure an adequate level of protection for personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Network Rail Infrastructure Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by it about its users will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms of website use and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Network Rail Infrastructure Limited and/or any of its group companies, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection.
When you visit our site you will be asked whether you wish to accept or reject cookies on your device. You will still be able to use our site if you reject them, but some personalisation features used on the station departure boards, or when searching for jobs, will not be available.
Should you wish, you can reject cookies completely by changing the settings of your browser. If you do this, however, you may not be able to access all or parts of our site. To learn more about cookies and how to manage them, visit the All About Cookies site.
Third party cookies
We use popular sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to originate or syndicate some of our content. As a result, if you visit one of our pages on these sites, or a page on our site which has content embedded from them, you may be presented with their cookies. We do not control these cookies. You should check the relevant site for more information about the cookies placed on external third party sites.
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how people use our site. We do this to make sure that it is meeting our users’ needs and to enable us to improve the site as a result.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other third party websites which may be of interest to you. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
How can you control your personal information or ask us to remove it?
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, or would like us to remove the details we hold about you, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will promptly make the changes. Proof of identity will be required.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
If you have registered for our recruitment service, if there is ever a substantial change to how we use information you provide and the new uses are unrelated to uses we disclose in this policy, we will communicate the changes in advance.